Victory Braid for Homecoming Mums and Garters
Sorry for the color selection here - just wanted to make it as easy as possible to see the different ribbon folds.
- 4 ribbons - 62" each for a 36" braid
- 4 ribbons - 31" each for an 18" braid
1. Place right ribbon down with the ribbon on the left going over it (making a "v")
2. Place the 3rd ribbon below and parallel to the first ribbon crossing over the 2nd ribbon.
3. Place the 4th ribbon on top next to the 3rd ribbon BUT have it go UNDER the 1st ribbon.
** TIP - this is how I personally remember how to lay the ribbons. First, remember that you are laying them one on top of each other. 2nd ribbon on 1st ribbon, 3rd ribbon on 2nd ribbon, 4th ribbon on 3rd ribbon. Also remember that each parallel set will be OPPOSITE on the over and under as to the ribbon next to it. See above, how the white and black ribbon are parallel, however the white ribbon is under the navy and over the red. The black will be opposite - it is UNDER navy ribbon and OVER red ribbon.
4. Now scootch them together to form a tight "v" and tape the tops down (if you can't tell already - I love masking tape!)
Couple of things real quick to help out. First, remember that your parallel ribbons will always end up being parallel to each other. Next, we work our way back and forth. Start on the right, then fold on left, etc. The folds to this to remember are over and down (parallel), over and down (parallel).
5. Start with the far right ribbon which is ribbon #1 (red). We are going to fold UNDER and to the left. Always remember that you will go under the ribbons but over the last ribbon on EACH FOLD. Fold ribbon #1 under ribbon 3 and 4 (navy and black) but over #2 (white).
6. Now the down (parallel) part. Fold ribbon #1 (red) under ribbon #2 (white) but OVER ribbon #4 (black) - remember the over the last ribbon rule. This will have the ribbon end back parallel with ribbon #3 (navy)
7. Now that the right side is folded, do the left. Take ribbon #2 (white) and fold under ribbon 1 and 4 (red and black) and over the last ribbon (navy).
8. Back to the rule - across and then down (parallel). Also remember rule that you go over the last ribbon. So take the white ribbon #2 and fold under ribbon #3 (navy) and over ribbon #1 (red) to be parallel to the black ribbon #4 (see how I said you would always end up parallel to the same ribbon).
9. Now start same pattern again. We did right side, then the left, now back to right. Take ribbon #3 (navy) and fold under - across (make sure to go over the last ribbon - black ribbon here). Then fold it down (parallel) but over the last ribbon.
10. Left side now. Take the black ribbon #4 - fold under and across. Then fold down (parallel).
Now you see we are back where we started. Take ribbon # 1 (red and fold under and across then down (parallel).
Now keep going!!
Thanks so much for looking!!! Let me know if you have any questions!
Made by www.MelzMumz.com